Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog. Mostly you will find Posts about building our cabin. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks,

Randy

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Update for early May 2009

This is the compressor and nail gun needed to put up the paneling boardsJust a few photos of the progress.

I was able to nail up interior wall covering for the last 2 weekends. We are using 6 inch wide, Pine Planking. The boards were purchased from a local lumber mill. They are milled with a tongue and groove system on all 4 edges so that when they are installed on our walls, there are no nails visible. It's a very nice look. We are using unfinished wood, so we will have to paint finish on it later. We will use satin polyurethane with no color added. It will take 2 coats, so that will be a big project in itself.

I installed my first Pre-hung door. It is in the bathroom. What an adventure. I finally got it right, but not without a serious amount of yelling. I was by myself, so I took the brunt of the criticism! I should have done a bit more research on that chore. But I think the 2 remaining doors will go faster.
The Kitchen and Family Room walls are about 1/2 done. It will look nice when completed. The cathedral ceiling will be a challenge. But I keep telling myself that I only have to do it once.

Bathroom is finished except for trim work and some built in shelves for towels, cleaning supplies and misc. storage. I want to finish out that ceiling in the main room before I install kitchen cabinets. We bought the cabinets and they are sitting in position, but not nailed down. After the ceiling is done, then it's down hill from there in the main room. Last thing will be floor covering. We are leaning towards carpet to save some money. Later down the road we can upgrade to wood if we feel the need.

We are taking a 2 week break from Michigan for family visits. Sue Ann is returning today from a week in California. She called several times to tell me what a great time she was having. Next weekend will be a trip to Illinois for a belated Mother's Day visit to see Vivian and John. I am sure that they will want to hear about Sue Ann's trip back to CA.
Enough rambling from me. Sorry that I don't write more often, because it is kind of fun to document what we are doing at our cabin. We hope to have it done in July. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. It looks great!!
Wynn

Sarah Alice said...

Amazing Uncle Randy! I am so impressed with your talents! Your cabin looks awesome. I can't wait to see you in a week and a half!! It's been a long time.
Love you, Sarah Alice

Anonymous said...

Randy, this is the first time I've been on your blog in a while. Wow. Has your place changed since we were there--which by-the-way it will have been a year on July 5th--walking in the woods with SueAnn and stepped in the hole. :) Anyway, Steve and I want to fly up and visit sometime soon. The place is BEAUTIFUL. You should be very proud! Wow.
Love you,
Gwen

About Me

My photo
Midwest, United States
Always interested in new activities and Hobbies. Anything outdoors.