Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog. Mostly you will find Posts about building our cabin. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks,

Randy

Sunday, March 30, 2008

An Old Dream Comes True







I have had a dream since I was about 18 years old. The dream was to own a piece of property in Michigan. I had already fallen in love with Michigan, thanks to my parents, who took our family on vacation there every year. My Grandfather had a cabin up there, and I've always wanted to do something similar. The idea in my head was to keep this place simple and cozy. A getaway in the north woods.


Well, this weekend my wife and I were able to purchase this dream spot. I am a very lucky guy, to have a wife who is willing and ready to help me realize what has turned into our dream. Sue Ann and I have purchased a log sided cabin in the Grayling, Michigan area. It is called a cabin shell, because the interior is not finished. I am looking forward to doing the finish work myself. It is an 864 square foot, (2) bedroom cabin that sits on 2.5 acres. The nearest town is called Lovells. The cabin has a finished well, and septic system. Power is run to the inside. My/our job will be to wire and plumb the cabin, then finish the interior to our liking. It may take a while, but we are really excited about getting started.


The cabin is in Ausable River country. There are several small State Parks in the area and a couple nice fishing lakes. We have seen deer by the herd, for the last two weekends, while were were looking at the area. We have also seen Bald Eagles in the immediate vicinity. Sue Ann took several photos of an Eagle, as we sat in the car at a bridge over the river.
So now the work begins. We will be making trips to Michigan on a regular basis, and this year's vacations will be working vacations up north!
We are really excited about this new adventure. I will keep you posted on our progress towards completion of the cabin.











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures... I'm just blog surfing. Hope you have a good evening.

gwen said...

Randy and SueAnn, I am thrilled for you about the cabin. Wow. It looks beautiful. Cannot wait to come up for a visit!!!!!
I also enjoyed your blog. I am learning things about you I never knew!! I would like to know what exactly popped on Feb. 28, you old man. I know we haven't talked forever. I am still recovering from being sick for the whole school year. Your cruise looked wonderful too. Reminded me of Titanic. :) Have not talked but looking foward to our RV trip to Soaring Eagle. Talk to you later! Love, Gwen

Sarah Alice said...

CONGRATS, CONGRATS on your new purchase! It looks perfect and I can't imagine how beautiful all that land is...looks a bit cold to me. Your driveway reminds me of a flat version of our drive to Tahoe last month. Brian and I had our first experience with chains during a snow storm on the way...we had a ball watching the snow come down and putting the chains on in the storm.

I can't wait to hear about all of the plans and projects...and see all of the pictures on your blog!

Anonymous said...

I just saw your new cabin and it is the most beautiful thing you would ever want. And, I hope some day to drive right up there and see it. It sounds wonderful. I am very happy for you. Love, Mom

About Me

My photo
Midwest, United States
Always interested in new activities and Hobbies. Anything outdoors.